Most Americans welcome submission as freely as the KKK welcome President Obama. I mean, not only is he a democratic and very liberal president but he’s also black. (Not sure if you were aware of that one, but yes, we have a black President) Right there you have three strikes against the President as far the boys in white sheets are concerned and in much the same way, Americans (in general) think of submission and lay three strikes at its door before we even get a chance to say “hello.”
- Submission requires us to relinquish freedom. We pride ourselves on our freedom and it’s going to take a lot for us to let it go.
- Submission = slavery. And we really hate slavery in this country not just because of our history of slavery and the damage it caused us, but we are STILL dealing with the fall out from it. In other words, submission hurts.
- Choosing submission requires trust. Too many times our trust in authority has been compromised. Watergate, Iran-Contra, WMD, the list goes on and on. We do not trust authority why would we choose to submit to it personally?
And if that wasn’t enough, we now have the Bondage/Discipline/Sado-Masochism gang painting an entirely DIFFERENT picture of submission with extreme sexual connotations. So when scripture says “Therefore, submit to God” I am not at all surprised that people hesitate.
“I want my life my way.”
“What if God asks me to do something I’m not ok with?”
“I’m not going to be one of those crazy freaks handing out flyers on the street and doing crazy stuff.” (Although “stuff” is usually replaced with a much harsher word)
My favorite of the lot though goes something like this. “Well, I’ll give myself to God but I’m still going to do these things that I want.”
That was me a while back and you can read more about it here. Now as interesting as my thoughts are on the subject are, I will defer to a more authoritative source here: GOD
- I have promised to bring you out of misery…into a land that is flowing with milk and honey.
- You will be a people set a part; priests to the nations.
- Come all who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest. Take up my yoke and follow me for my yoke is easy and my burden light.
- Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and He will make your paths straight.
- Come. Follow me.